Friday, July 4, 2014

The Run Hop Skip Jump Shorts/Pants Pattern Review


  • Hey! As my followers already know, my name is Susan and I blog from just outside Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I almost always sew for my little man but occasionally throw in a quilt, gifts or something for myself.





I recently saw in blog land that Stitch it Now was looking for pattern testers for a new pattern for shorts and pants. I knew that I had to get right on that! As I mentioned before, I almost always sew for my little man and there are just not that many patterns out there for boys ((although this one definitely works for girls)) so I had to put my name in quick! Luckily, I was picked and the rest as they say is history.




This pattern has patch pockets on the front and back which give an excellent opportunity for using a different fabric for interest. The pattern also comes in two lengths, shorts and pants, which is great for transitioning a pattern from summer to winter. I also could totally see myself doing a cropped pant (capri for girls) with the tabs on the side for fall/spring too! This pattern also includes a flat front with elastic in the back.



For my version I picked white and red bottom weight. I used the white as the base and wonder under-ed the red stripes to it, edge stitching each strip. I did not fold under and stitch, I opted instead to them raw so the would fuzz up a little after washing. For the patch pockets I used regular denim and grabbed a Clorox pen to draw on the stars. 




Lesson learned after above picture-put on the bleach gel thicker the first time, I had to do two applications because some were not visible.



I think the sizing was pretty spot on...or my guy was spot on her size chart! He is placed firmly in the size 5 which is what I made for him and it fit like it was made for him ((ha ha ha)). No modifications for the actual sizing were necessary; It is so nice when a pattern fits with no mods.





I think the shorts turned out great and I will surely be making again. I have plenty of bottom weights in my stash and think pants in kelly green will be made. It was 88 degrees out today so the pants are in the future! These were a easy sew and can definitely become a staple pattern. That being said I think that there are some things I would do differently. I LOVE the stripes but it made for a very thick faux fly. I would also always add the button/faux button hole on the waistband because it makes it look like real pants--not pull up pants. After a certain age I don't prefer the look of pull up pants but I still love the ease for them dressing and going potty. See the bottom of this post for my how-to on the faux button hole on the waistband.



Overall, I like the pattern and will be doing them again. The printing was easy although I would highly recommend printing in color for the pattern portion. It can get a little jumbled in black and white even with the very helpful different prints. I hate to print in color because I like to preserve the expensive ink but trust me; go for color!



So, Make sure you take the time to go to Stitch it Now and find out how to purchase your own pair of Run Jump Hop Skip Shorts/Pants. While you are there make sure you enter the giveaway! There's a chanceto win your own copy of the pattern, a fabric gift card or your choice of wither boy or girl inspired Japanese Echino fabrics!!

**Although the actual tour has been cancelled, Stitch it now is still having the giveaway. **

 photo 92050c1f-07eb-4b59-92b7-d2175f6055ed_zpsa8b03590.jpg


P

  • Faux Button Hole Tutorial

  • I marked on the waist band where I wanted it and folded over the faux fly so it was not as thick. Then you just use your button hole attachment and put it in but dont cut open the button hole. Then I stitched on a button over the faux button hole and all the layers of the waistband.




  • So starting off with my faker waistband after stitching the faux fly. Press your waistband down and mark where you want your button hole.
  • Then you select your button hole style, I always suggest testing it out on a scrap of fabric first.















Then you put the faux fly open, notice the pressed lines to the left of the needle in the picture above.

After that you can stitch down your waist band like normal.


Then you can stitch on button! 
Yay your done!!!!



 *** I was given this pattern for free in exchange for testing, but all opinions are my own. ***


 

No comments:

Post a Comment